Wednesday, April 21, 2010

Planting, chapter 1

We got a lot done today. We planted 9 rows of corn, 3 rows of beans, a row of tomatoes, a cantaloupe and 3 rows of white potatoes. We still have herbs, mustard and kale, zucchini and yellow squash, 2 kinds of pumpkins, and a mess of lavender to get into the ground. Once some of the plants come up we can put in the posts and string up the supports for the beans and tomatoes. This is of paramount importance to me because I just am not good at crawling around on the ground hunting for beans! Last year we had a LOT of rain, and the tomatoes suffered from blight. I am hoping having them up off the ground will allow them to dry out properly between rains and we can get some fruit. Lord knows that if we can get it all to harvest its going to be a major undertaking to get it all put up. I think I will start buying more jars every payday so I am ready for processing.

I came home, took a shower and a nap and have decided the garden hating has not yet begun. Maybe in a few weeks... LOL. We are going to lay cardboard between the rows once the plants come up so we can help keep the weeds down. We had a nice visit today with my uncle, mom, and Linda (a friend that Becca introduced us to).

The Hubby had to pull up the blog and check the menu to fix some dinner tonight. I am so grateful he was willing to do it because I was flat worn out. After my nap I have about enough energy to post and clear the email, then I am headed back to bed!

No comments:

Post a Comment