Thursday, April 8, 2010

Nothing is Where I Left It!!

Well, I had occasion to visit Walmart for groceries today. I usually try to avoid shopping there because, for the things I purchase regularly, I can't save as much money as when I go to Kroger. Probably I should have gone to Save-A-Lot, but they don't carry my brand of toilet paper and I only had one check in my checkbook.

If you sew you probably know that Walmart is phasing out their fabric department. They used this as an excuse to rearrange everything in the freakin store! Not only that, they changed out all the shelves: white metal shelving is apparently "out" and black is "in". I am not sure what the psychological reasoning is behind that, but there you go. So there are chips and paper/foil products where the shoes used to be, and items have been rearranged on the shelves and isles. It makes shopping take so much longer when I can't find what I am looking for. The poor check out girl said, dutifully, "Did you find everything you were looking for?" Bless her heart, I laughed out loud. She understood, so I am sure I wasn't the only one with that reaction today.

The daughter and I had our day out. Most of spring break we were at home, but today we went to Nannie's house to play with the cousin. My girls were the first grandchildren on both sides of the house, and their cousins came along several years later. As a result, there is a big gap in their ages. However, my youngest has a real affinity for younger kids, so they play well together. We celebrated by going to Wendy's for salads. Good grief!! When did 2 salads with drinks start to look a lot like $15 ??? But it was a good thing. Sometimes you just have to spend a little money and time with a child. The rewards outweigh the cost.

So today at Walmart:

Cottonelle TP $7.97
Great Value 1% Milk, gallon $2.48 (saved $1 with store promotion)
2 bags of frozen Broccoli bits @ $.98 each
2 Tomatoes, on the vine $1.21
1 Cucumber @ $ .68
3 very small Yellow Squash $.67
1 small Zuchini $.68 (Just realized that the cashier rang this up as a cucumber.)
2 Hillshire Farms Beef Smoked Sausage @ $2.50 each (Coupon for buy 2 save 1$1.00)
10# Russet Potatoes @ $2.77
1 jar GV Light Mayo @ 2.18
sliced fresh Mushrooms @ $1.88
1 container of fresh Strawberries @ 1.50
1 large bag of Malt O Meal whole grain Cereal @ 4.42
1 package of Saffron flavored Rice @ $.66
1 can pineapple bits @ $1.16
1 can mandarin oranges @ $.82 each( rang up 2 but I only brought home 1-probably evens out the zuchini)
4 cans Chef Boy Ar Dee Pasta @ $1.00 each (coupon for $1 off a 4 can purchase)
1 tub Country Crock Margarine with Calcium @ $2.28 (Coupon for .30 off)
1 head of Lettuce @ $1.28

Total: 45.37, including tax.

Not bad all in all. The fruit will all go together in a container and be used for the daughter's lunch next week. That, along with sandwiches on fresh bread should be a good lunch. Also there are now plenty of salad options if she wants to switch it up.

No comments:

Post a Comment