Tuesday, April 20, 2010

Of Gardens and Menus

Spent the day walking and planning the garden with my cousin Becca. Tomorrow we do a quick trip to Lowe's for a few last minute things, and start planting. Its an ambitious undertaking, and will quickly become something I dread doing. I hate the doing and the putting up, but I love the food when the snow is flying and the smaller grocery bill when I don't have to add all those canned or frozen veggies to the cart. I expect tomorrow night I will be exhausted!

At the moment we are planning:
Corn, 3 types of green beans, 2 types of tomatoes, red and white potatoes, pumpkins, watermelon, honeydew, yellow squash, zucchini, cucumbers, onions, carrots and beets. Becca is planting greens (mustard, kale, etc) and we are going to plant some herbs out there also. In the back yard here the cabbage, broccoli, and cauliflower are coming right along, and the onions are looking good. I expect to have to purchase a flat of jars every pay day between now and harvest to put it all up, because the only think I prefer frozen is corn.

Here is the menu for the next week:

Tuesday April 20
Breakfast: cereal and milk
Lunch: Michaelina for the Hubby, school lunch for the Daughter, and salad for me
Dinner: Chicken and Cheese Biscuits, Chicken Gravy, steamed cauliflower, green beans

Wednesday April 21
Breakfast: cereal and milk
Lunch: Michaelinas for the Hubby, PB&J sandwich/fruit for the Daughter, hamburger/potato salad for me (grilling out with family)
Dinner: Hamburger Helper, green peas for Hubby and Daughter, salad for me

Thursday April 22
Breakfast: egg/hashbrowns/sausage torte
Lunch: Michaelinas for Hubby, chicken salad lettuce wraps for Daughter, Salad for me
Dinner: BBQ pork (AF), boiled/buttered potatoes, broccoli

Friday April 23
Breakfast: leftover torte
Lunch: Lunchmeat sandwiches, pudding, fruit for Hubby and Daughter, leftovers for me
Dinner: Pizza (mushrooms, sausage, pepperoni) before the oldest daughter's opera performance

Saturday April 24
Breakfast: oatmeal w/apples and brown sugar
Lunch: Breaded chicken tenders, oven fries
Dinner: Breakfast for dinner (biscuits, scrambled eggs, bacon)

Sunday April 25
Breakfast:
Lunch/dinner: Grilled cornish hens, saffron rice, something green (LOL)
Snack: Popcorn for movie night

Monday April 26
Breakfast: Muffins
Lunch: Sandwiches, Carrot sticks, pudding
Dinner: Pork chops (grilled/bbq), buttered boiled potatoes, green beans

Tuesday April 27
Breakfast: oatmeal
Lunch: Michaelinas for hubby, salad for daughter, chicken pot pie for me
Dinner: Chicken soup (homemade crockpot- carrots, peas, potatoes, celery, onion, mushrooms), poor mans biscuits

No comments:

Post a Comment