Tuesday, July 6, 2010

Productive Weekend

Well, lets see. I have frozen 3 pints of beets, 4 quarts of strawberries, and now I have peaches to put up, zucchini to shred and freeze for bread and soup later and freezer slaw to make. Not bad huh? I will probably make more zucchini bread. The first batch was good, but I ran out of brown sugar and I believe it needs what is actually called for. The recipe can be found here.

The freezer slaw, a wonderful recipe, was posted by a fellow quilter named Andi on the MQResource website.

Here's a good recipe if you have some fresh cabbage you would like to save for another day:

1 med. head cabbage, shredded
1 carrot, grated
1 green pepper, chopped
1 small onion, finely chopped
1 tsp salt

Toss together, let stand one hour

2 cups sugar
1 tsp celery seed
1 tsp mustard seed
1 cup vinegar
1/4 cup water

Combine in saucepan. Boil one minute. Cool until lukewarm. Pour over cabbage mixture, stir until combined. Freeze in covered container. Thaw about 45 minutes before serving.

I can vouch for it -- its yummy! I don't put the green peppers in because I don't like them, but feel free if they are your thing :)

Sunday we are having a reception after church to welcome our new members of The Daughters of The King. I am going to take a couple of different things: Zucchini bread with flavored spread (not sure yet which flavor but probably a cream cheese thing), Cordon Blue Crustini, and a cold tomato and cucumber balsamic salad. I think that will be good food to celebrate adding sisters to our membership!

I worked in the garden this evening. Becca and I have found a way to separate the green beans from the Johnson Grass... the bane of my gardening existence! There were even a few beans on Mom's half runners! We pulled a few more beets for Becca to take home, and several zucchini for me to shred up for the freezer. We have lots of green tomatoes, and several miniature cucumbers on the vines. Oh, there are a few pumpkins too. I look forward to those. I want to can them up the winter. the potato vines died away but we do have some small red potatoes. Hopefully they will rest easy until we are ready to take them out of the ground.

I also hit a sale at the JC Penny outlet and for $5.50 I got 2 dress shirts and 2 pairs of pants for the hubby, a pair of jeans for the youngest daughter and a pair of khakis for the oldest daughter! Pretty sweet! We (Mom and I) also found 4 pair of twill pants for my brother so he has some nice work clothes also. Gotta love a bargain!

Tomorrow is up early, hit the farmers market before hubby heads out to work, shred and preserve all day along with laundry and planting a few blue lakes in the garden up here. I hope that they will take. We should have enough time for them to grow before the season ends.

Ta-ta for now!

No comments:

Post a Comment