Wednesday, July 7, 2010

The Farmers Market

Its a beautiful thing. Even early in the season, all those lovely vegetables and fruits, lined up waiting to go home with someone. I got Yellow squash 3 for a $1, cucumbers 3 for a $1, 5 lbs of little red potatoes for $4, 4 onions for $1, a gorgeous cabbage the size of a bowling ball for $2, and 14 ears of peaches and cream corn for $4. We will eat like kings this week!

The other great find of the week was at Kroger. They had grain fed sirloin beef roasts for $1.99 a lb!! For $20 I got 9 nice big steaks and a good 1 1/2 lbs to cut up as stew meat. That is cheaper than Angel Food (per pound) and with the Daughter not eating meat, those 9 steaks will feed the Hubby and I 9 meals with no problem.

So, now its time to put the food away!


UPDATE: Okay...I have 1/2 the cabbage shredded, with carrots and onion and the slaw dressing is cooling on the stove. I have 6 bags of shredded zucchini (2 cups each, pre-measured for bread). Honestly, this is my first foray into zucchini bread, but I am thinking I can flavor it any way I want (chocolate chips, peanut butter, fruit, etc). That should make good muffins in the fall too. Once I get the slaw put up I will start on the peaches. They are a little more time intensive since they have to be blanched, peeled and pitted, cut up, and the syrup has to be made. I may run out of freezer bags and containers.

So today looks like a productive day. Its just about 11 am and I have accomplished a lot. Still need to water the garden, later when it cools down, get the chives and carrots into the dehydrator. Then I am going to take a nap before church.


2ND UPDATE: Shew! The coleslaw is all in the freezer. I made 2 batches, because the head of cabbage was so large. Even so, with a huge cabbage, l lbs of carrots, and 2 medium onions, I have 6 24 oz. containers of freezer slaw. Still have not tackled the peaches or the corn...but I am wearing out! They might have to wait for tomorrow.

I have no idea why the time stamp is not coming up correctly. I am in Eastern time and I just posted at 2:37 PM EST. Strange.

No comments:

Post a Comment