Friday, March 26, 2010

Friday, 3/26 updated

Because I thought that I would not be getting any AF this month, I hit the grocery last night. Here's the damage (Updated):
1 bag hash browns $1.79
Pillsbury Grands Biscuits 2 cans @ $ .98 each*
Pillsbury Bread Sticks $1.25*
2 cans Turkey Chili @ $1.41 each
2 Yakisobi noodles @ $1.00
1 bag tortilla chips $1.00
1 can frozen lemonade $1.29
1 bag shredded cheese $2.29
Kroger brand Drink mix (Crystal Light type) $ 2.00
1 box rotini $1.25
Italian Dressing mix $2.19
1 box Saltine Crackers @1.25
2 cans of soup @ 1.00 each
Turkey Breast lunch meat (1 lb) $3.49
Ham lunch meat (1 lb) $3.49
2 rolls sausage @ $1.59 each
2.5 dozen eggs $2.99
Hamburger, store ground 4.62 (marked down 50%)
Hamburger, store ground 4.64 (marked down 50%)
Canola oil $2.99
Bananas $.65
1 Smoked Sausage $2.00
1 can beets $ .50

Total: 53.54

With store discounts and coupons my total saved was $8.89
*I had one coupon for $1 off 3 Pillsbury products (biscuits and bread sticks)
I spent $53.43. Also ordered my coupons from the grocery savings site. That was $5.45. That money gets me coupons for $54 off products. I really had to select carefully. Many things I purchase are store brands or generics, but there were quite a few things available to me that I do purchase name brand. One of them was Chef Boyardee pizza kits. Can't turn down a $1 off those, since I do the cheese kits and add my own turkey pepperoni. I ordered 5 of the coupons. I have till the end of May to use them, and that will keep us in pizza for quite a while.

While at the grocery, I ran into my friend Martha who heads up the AF endeavor in our county. Turns out they order a box or two extra, just in case, and I will be able to get one! I am very happy about that. So this meat should really carry us through for most of April with the AF meat added to it. I have separated the hamburger into 5 one lb. sections and 2 1/2 lb sections. Its in the freezer. This will let us have spaghetti twice, and we can either do burgers, Hamburger Helper, or casseroles with the other 5 lbs.

I found myself standing in front of displays and saying "Just because its on sale doesn't mean I have to buy it now." I have to tell you, its hard to walk away from a good deal. Perhaps if we ever get a freezer I will feel like I can do that.

In the meantime, my cousin and I are planning our garden. Over the next few months I will start buying up jars, lids, etc. I want to put up chili base again, lots of green beans, corn, potatoes, and onions. I want pumpkins to put up too, and beets even though I am the only one that eats them here!

Tonight is pizza night. I look forward to that pizza. Also I made the best oatmeal chocolate chip cookies! Here is the recipe from All recipes:

Chewy Chocolate Chip Oatmeal Cookies


Ingredients

  • 1 cup butter, softened
  • 1 cup packed light brown sugar
  • 1/2 cup white sugar
  • 2 eggs
  • 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
  • 1 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
  • 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
  • 1 teaspoon salt
  • 3 cups quick-cooking oats
  • 1 cup chopped walnuts
  • 1 cup semisweet chocolate chips

Directions

  1. Preheat the oven to 325 degrees F (165 degrees C).
  2. In a large bowl, cream together the butter, brown sugar, and white sugar until smooth. Beat in eggs one at a time, then stir in vanilla. Combine the flour, baking soda, and salt; stir into the creamed mixture until just blended. Mix in the quick oats, walnuts, and chocolate chips. Drop by heaping spoonfuls onto ungreased baking sheets.
  3. Bake for 12 minutes in the preheated oven. Allow cookies to cool on baking sheet for 5 minutes before transferring to a wire rack to cool completely.
I used Country Crock margarine, and the cookies worked better that were chilled in the fridge than the first batch in the oven. They didn't look like they were completely done but set up beautifully. We will have these again, because I am always looking for a way to add grain to our diet. Oh yes, I use the long cooking oatmeal, not the fast stuff, because its what I had. seems to be fine.

No comments:

Post a Comment