Wednesday, March 23, 2011

Visiting Family

This week my Mom and I took a trip to visit my cousin Rebecca and her family. I am the oldest of this generation, so while my children are grown hers are just little ones. I had forgotten all the joys and aggrevations of having children under 5 under foot. They do some adorable things. The youngest crawled up in my lap and asked why I had washed my hair? I said, "Because it was dirty. Why do you wash your hair?" She dipped her head and looked up at me and said, " So I am pretty for you!" How can you not love a kid like that?

We have wandered around discussing garden layouts, trellising, and how to keep the chickens out of the garden. The chickens have been very entertaining. The weather was pretty for the first few days, so the kids played outside. I got to meet Becca's buddy Jen, and we talked about soap making. Unfortunately we did not get to make soap this trip, but maybe next time.

Becca made up her white bread recipe and my light whole wheat. They are both really good! Becca is working on a quilt top that I will quilt (for sale). We are hoping that we can make a business of it and help both our families out with a little extra cash.

Through all this female bonding Becca's husband Mike has been kind enough to cart the kids up to the "upstairs" and keep them there overnight. Its allowed us to have some really great belly laughs in the evening, and quieter conversation too.

I have been checking out the Excaliber Food Dehydrator that Becca just got. It is a sweet little machine. My dehydrator puts out a lot of heat, but this one is more temperate. Her broccoli is just drying up beautifully.

We played a new board game called Blokus by Mattel. Its a lot of fun and even the little kids can play (with a bit of assistance). I think it might be on my future list of purchases.

Tomorrow we head home, and though it will be good to sleep in my own bed, it was a very good visit!

No comments:

Post a Comment