Wednesday, March 9, 2011

Magic Mix

One of my favorite food storage sites Everyday Food Storage has a basic white sauce/cream sauce recipe called Magic Mix [(MM) scroll down a bit on the page for the recipe and video]. I have read about it several times, but just recently decided to make up a batch. The recipe calls for 3 ingredients and has to be stored in the refrigerator. Tonight I made a cheese sauce with it for a chicken, broccoli, cauliflower, and carrot one pot meal. I think I am going to like this stuff! It is very true that you have to add flavor to it. Next time I will make it with broth instead of water, add more onion powder or celery seed, etc depending on what recipe I am using. Crystal (creator of the EFS website) has some really great how-to videos, and a multitude of recipes for using MM.

This site has all kinds of great recipes for using things like powdered milk and beans in recipes. Many of them are not even recognizable in the finished product, for those of you with picky eaters :) I especially am intrigued by the idea of cooking and puree-ing yellow squash and using it in cheese sauce for mac and cheese! She also has a recipe for pecan pie that uses beans. I haven't tried that yet. I am working my way up to dried beans, LOL!

Youngest daughter called today. She has a boyfriend at school now, so she is not so anxious to come home. She is also getting to do some dessert baking at school this week. This is a great thing because her goal is to be a pastry chef. I am glad she is starting out with something of interest. I don't think the transition is quite complete, but she is making progress. I am so proud of her.

Today is Ash Wednesday. I really wanted to go to church today but have had a terrible sinus headache since early this morning. Mostly its been a sleepy day, but I did wash up the pots and pans and run the dishwasher. The oldest daughter is coming to visit for a few days. I am looking forward to that.

Check out the EFS and see if there is not something there to pique your interest. There is also a Facebook page that allows for conversation with others. Worth your time :)

No comments:

Post a Comment