Saturday, March 26, 2011

Snow on the Daffodils

It appears that winter is not done with us yet. Tonight they are forecasting an inch of snow by morning. It shouldn't stick to the roads, since we have had several days of 60-70 degree weather in the last week. My neighbors daffodils have come up, and Mom says it always snows on the daffodils and crocus. Personally, I am ready to see the end of Winter. Bring on Spring! I can't seem to get warm today.

I picked up the Angel Food today. Turns out this church is no longer going to be a host site. Its possible that one of the other churches in town will step up and take on the job. If they do not then we will be traveling to Winchester to pick up our monthly order. I am sorry that it has come to an end. It was a great ministry, and the food was both healthy and less expensive than the grocery stores. Even with the gas money to travel for pick up it will still be cheaper than going to Wal-mart.

My daughter called today with news of an online coupon for pasta. Kroger had it on sale already for .49 cents a box. The coupon was $1 off 2 boxes, so essentially it was free! I came home with 4 boxes of whole wheat thin spaghetti, 3 boxes of spirals, 4 boxes of penne, and 2 boxes of linguine -- for $0.00!! Cant beat that! We also had a coupon for a free container of Philadelphia Cream Cheese flavored for cooking. Saved $3.00 on that item. There were a lot of buy 10 for $10 deals on soup, and we got canned fruit on sale also. Since we got the pasta for nothing I spent $4 on containers at the Dollar Tree to put it in. They have a tall canister right now that is perfect for spaghetti/linguine.

I will be dehydrating bell peppers this evening. They were also on sale. Our splurge was a marked down blackberry cobbler for $2.50 and a box of vanilla ice cream for the same price.

All in all, without the coupons or discounted items for "store members" the total was just over $100. With the coupons and discounts we paid about $58.00. How can that not be a good day???

Looks like I am going into business. I have a long arm quilting machine, and I am going to rent space from my brother. We will set up in a street level apartment building, and I will quilt quilts for people, make bedding (comforters, bedspreads, pillow shams, and bed skirts). I hope that I can work with decorators so that I have several and the work is steady. I am putting together a price list and sorting and packing up my supplies here at the house to move them out. I will gain a bedroom here, and hope to do better than break even. My cousin is making quilt tops which we will sell as completed items online, or at Court Day (the local fall festival).

No comments:

Post a Comment