Friday, August 6, 2010

Chicken Pot Pie - the easy way

I just wanna say, dinner tonight was darn good. Yes, I fixed it, so I should have known it would be, but that is irrelevant. :0)

I pondered a few recipes today. Then I thought, surely there is something in the kitchen that I can throw together and make a meal. Yup. Last night I baked a bag of chicken tenders. Tonight I took 3 of those, and chopped them up very finely. Mixed with a well rinsed can of diced potatoes, frozen peas and carrots, dehydrated onion, a can of cream of celery soup and 1/4 cup of left over chicken gravy (from a mix), and topped with a bit of biscuit mix made a wonderful chicken pot pie.

Tomorrow is an experiment day. I am going to make Boston Baked Beans. I have never been a big fan of beans, and never made them from scratch. Fortunately dried beans are cheap so if they don't turn out to be our "cup of beans" then its not a financial crisis!

I am also going out and pick the few pumpkins that grew in the garden so they can be processed and canned. This fall we will have wonderful Caramel Pumpkin Pudding Cuupcakes ala Hungry Girl. They are wicked good, decadent, and fabulous warmed up for breakfast on a cold, snowy morning or with vanilla ice cream for a tasty dessert. Last year there was a pumpkin shortage, and some parts of the country had trouble getting it on the grocery shelves. I heard this was true, from Hungry Girl and on my next visit to the store I stocked up! Don't want to be without my pumpkin :0)

I am working on the menu for next week. Also we have coffee hour at church on Sunday. That means tomorrow I will be making coffee cake, fruit dip, and gathering/prepping apples. Might do one other thing, but not sure yet.

The garden, other than the pumpkins is pretty much done for the year. No beans, they just didnt grow. The corn was spotty, some of it apparently didn't get pollinated. The beets did pretty well. I may find a few more baseball bat sized zucchini, or a yellow squash here and there but that's all. Even the cucumbers were a disappointment this time. Thank goodness for the Farmer's Market and Angel Food!

No comments:

Post a Comment