Monday, April 7, 2014

Planning is an Art

I have never been good at planning ahead.  Even the simple act of planning what to wear or what to fix for dinner the next day just doesnt come naturally to me.  I am an "in the moment" kind of thinker, so this whole budgeting and meal planning, etc. is just hard.  The Hubby is all about the plan, and doesnt do much spontaneously.  Which is very hard on me :)

We took the youngest Daughter to Lexington to a movie yesterday with a group of people she doesnt see often.  We knew we were doing this for a couple of days ahead of time, but we did not sit down and plan the money flow.  Sigh... its a live and learn kind of thing I guess.

Anyway, since we were there I had thought to hit up GFS for a few meat deals but they were closed.  So we went to Aldi's and they had a few things.  Spent a bit of the budget there:

0.99  Lettuce
1.49  potato chips (hubby has been missing them
2.49  peanuts (yeah, hubby again :) )
1.49  all purpose flour
1.40  burritoes (4)
1.99 cheddar cheese
1.99 swiss sheese
0.99  lemons (2)
1.49  strawberries
4.99  sausage patties (18, precooked)
0.45  instant SF pudding
0.89  potato side dish
0.79  onion soup mix
2.36  canned mushrooms (4 cans @ .59 each - much cheaper than Krogers)
0.12  paper bags, 2
-------------------
total:  23.92

We have decided soda pop needs its own budget, because its killing the grocery budget.  I still have to hit the Kroger website and decide what to purchase in the way of meat.  Everyone has spiral hams on sale right now for about $2 a pound.  I should get one, and something beef.  Also, lost a meal of beef this week because I thawed it out and never got to fix it.  I hate throwing away food.

On the upside, we sat down to watch tv last night and I thoughtlessly filled up a bowl of potato chips.  Took one bite and decided I just didnt really want them so they went back into the bag.  Instead, I had sliced cucumber, radishes and mushrooms with a couple tbsp of ranch dressing.  Much healthier.

UPDATE:  So just finished up at Kroger.  Good meat sale this week.  I saved 13.75 with the customer loyalty card, plus 4% of my purchase goes into the church fund. 
I brought home:
2.00  individual frozen pizzas, for hubbys lunch (2)
4.92 
4.92  ground chuck (2) NOT a deal, but its 80/20 which is more flavorful, and the other meat was cheaper
7.54  boneless pork loin cut into rib sections (from the marked down meat section)
8.64 
7.40  split chicken breasts(2 pkgs)  (99 cents a pound, and they are large enough to make 2 people 1 meal)
0.99  tall kitchen bags, for sorting and storing clothing
------------
36.47 - 13.75 (Store discount) = total 22.72 including tax.

22.72
23.92
---------
46.64, just over the $45 for the week.  I did not buy soup mix for Wednesday night, so I will have to come up with something for that meal at church.

No comments:

Post a Comment