Friday, March 28, 2014

The Intentional Freezer

I am starting to look at some ways to use my freezer to make my life easier, and not just as bulk storage space.  I like the idea that I can have meals already to go, just thaw and stick in the oven or slow cooker.  Of course, I want to start small and build, so this week I want to try making and freezing homemade pizza dough.  Perhaps sauce too.  We do pizza once a week, on Fridays as a rule.  It can get kind of expensive buying pre-made frozen pies, or always getting Chef Boy-Ar-Dee (tho I confess, I love that Chef!).  I want to see if making this stuff myself is cheaper, tastes better, etc. 

We always top with pepperoni and mushrooms.  Sometimes sausage, sometimes ham, sometimes onion, occasionally left over chicken.  Olives are a nice change of pace, but kind of pricy so we don't do that often.  I can get the pepperoni at the Dollar Tree, and occasionally jarred mushrooms too.  That helps keep the cost down.

One year we canned pizza sauce, chili base, and spaghetti sauce.  Frankly, it was nice to have it all premade, but the chili base was the biggest hit. So now I am watching for canned sauce to hit the sale list, because I really dont want to do all the canning yet.  (It is cooler now, so this might be a good time after all... will have to ponder that one!

Anyway, the Once a Month Freezer Meals link on the left is there because this lady has TONS of recipes.  She is on Pinterest too, so check her out :)



No comments:

Post a Comment