Saturday, June 26, 2010

The Angelfood has arrived. I bought 2 regular boxes and one grill box. Total cost was $84.00 and it included:

2 dozen eggs
2 large bags of chicken breasts
2 lbs of breaded fish nuggets
2 lbs of lean ground beef
12 rib-eye steaks
4 pork chops
4 turkey medalions wrapped in bacon
2 frozen mac and beef entrees
2 lbs of frozen mashed potatoes
2 bags of frozen vegetables with peppers
2 lbs of chicken fajita strips
2 boxes of smoked sausage
6 lbs of Idaho potatoes
2 cans of spaghetti sauce
2 lbs of spaghetti
2 lbs of rice
2 quarts of shelf stable milk
8 honey buns

Not too shabby I think :). I had to send some of it home with Mom to tuck away in her freezer because mine is now full. Since the daughter is not eating meat now, I think that we will not have to purchase meat for the whole month of July! There will be a few trips to the farmers market for fresh fruit and veggies though. At least until the garden starts producing.

Now for a menu. I have discovered that I don't like being told (even by myself) what I have to eat on a given day. Maybe its the rebel in me, but some days I just don't feel like eating whats on the menu. So, since I have to eat what I have, eventually all the planned meals will get eaten. I am just going to do a list of breakfasts, lunches, and dinners... and except for Friday night, which is ALWAYS pizza night if I can manage it, we will pick and choose as our tastes dictate.

Breakfasts:

oatmeal
toast
grits
eggs and bacon
sausage biscuits (we have these frozen from the previous shopping trip) - primarily for the Hubby to eat on his way to work.
pancakes
cereal and milk

Lunches:
Sandwiches (lunch meat, cheese)
vegetable soup
grilled cheese
salad
fish nuggets (for the daughter)
carrot and celery sticks with dip
stuffed peppers for hubby
Pasta salad - veggies, hard boiled eggs, whole wheat pasta, Italian dressing, Parmesan cheese
Hamburger mac entree (for Hubby's lunch)


Dinner:
baked chicken, mashed potatoes, green beans, baked apples
Pork chops, rice, broccoli
baked potatoes - sour cream, shredded cheese, chives, fajita chicken
pizza - turkey pepperoni, mushrooms, onion
BBQ chicken, roasted potatoes, salad
burgers, oven fries, stir fried veggies (zucchini, yellow squash, carrots)
steak, baked potatoes, broccoli/cauliflower mix

I have low fat brownie mix and a couple cake mixes if we want dessert. Also a great recipe for Chewy Chocolate Chip Oatmeal Cookies.

I have made one attempt at cleaning out the fridge. It went well but I didn't really have time to wash out the drawers, etc. I need to do that so the produce stays nice. Also I bought some "forever bags". These are bags that do not trap the gasses that veggies, bread, meat and fruit let off as they age. If they are not sitting in these gasses they stay fresh longer. I usually have to pay through the nose for them, but I found a great deal at Big Lots (25 bags for $3!!). So, I am hoping that the food will last longer. That means fewer trips to the grocery and frankly less opportunity to blow the budget :)

No comments:

Post a Comment